In 1927, thirty - one men met to discuss establishing a volunteer fire department for the Township; Charter was granted and received in September 1928. Our fire department operated for many years from a rented garage, using a second-hand truck. We conducted many fundraisers and even rented our hall to the Township Commissioners to hold their meetings. New fire trucks were purchase in 1935 (a used Chevy pumper) and in 1955 the department purchased it first brand-new fire truck. It was a Mack pumper. We still own this truck today. You can see a photo of this truck n our apparatus photo section. After the hard work a firehouse owned by the department was built at the western end of Main Street.
As our community continued to grow so did the department. In 1958 a larger parcel of property in the center of town was purchased, and in 1968 our new station was built and we moved in to our current location at the corner of Spring Run Road and McGovern Blvd. This building has served well over the years and has undergone several renovations. We are again renovating this building.
We serve approximately 3000 residents and cover a 2.5 square mile area consisting of mostly single-family dwellings with a mix of various industries. Our boarders to the north area neighbored by Hopewell Township and South Heights Borough and to the south and west Moon Township to the east is the Ohio River. We serve Allegheny County as well as Beaver County. We cover sections of the Ohio River with our Water Rescue & Swift Water Teams. The Department runs 4 Engines, 1 Heavy Rescue, 1 Tanker, 1 Air unit, 2 Squads, a Water rescue Unit consisting of certified scuba divers, swift water technicians and Four boats of various sizes. We respond in numerous counties in both Fire and Water Rescue Incidents. We are part of the Pennsylvania Region 13 Water Rescue Team. We work closely with the PA. State Police and other local law enforcement agencies. The department is first alarm for Emergency Response Teams for the Nuclear Power Plant in Shippingport PA as well as Pittsburgh International Airport.